By Richard Brian Davis
The appropriate significant other to Lewis Carroll's vintage booklet and director Tim Burton's March 2010 remake of Alice in Wonderland
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has interested kids and adults alike for generations. Why does Lewis Carroll introduce us to such oddities as blue caterpillars who smoke hookahs, cats whose grins stay after their heads have light away, and a White Queen who lives backwards and recalls forwards? Is all of it simply nonsense? was once Carroll below the impression? This publication probes the deeper underlying that means within the Alice books, and divulges an international wealthy with philosophical existence classes. Tapping into a number of the maximum philosophical minds that ever lived?Aristotle, Hume, Hobbes, and Nietzsche?Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy explores life's final questions in the course of the eyes of probably the main endearing heroine in all of literature.
* appears to be like at compelling matters comparable to belief and truth in addition to how common sense fares in a global of lunacy, the Mad Hatter, clocks, and temporal passage
* deals new insights into favourite Alice in Wonderland characters and scenes, together with the Mad Hatter and his tea occasion, the violent Queen of Hearts, and the grinning Cheshire Cat
Accessible and unique, Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy will enhance your event of Alice's undying adventures with new which means and enjoyable.
Read or Download Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser and Curiouser (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series) PDF
Similar popular culture books
the hot York instances bestselling Freakonomics was once a global sensation, promoting greater than 4 million copies in thirty-five languages and altering the best way we glance on the international.
Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner go back with Superfreakonomics, and lovers and novices alike will locate that the freakquel is even bolder, funnier, and extra wonderful than the 1st.
SuperFreakonomics demanding situations the best way we expect yet again, exploring the hidden aspect of every thing with such questions as:
* How is a highway prostitute like a department-store Santa?
* What do hurricanes, center assaults, and road deaths have in common?
* Can consuming kangaroo store the planet?
Levitt and Dubner combine shrewdpermanent considering and nice storytelling like not anyone else. via studying how humans reply to incentives, they exhibit the realm for what it quite is—good, undesirable, grotesque, and, within the base line, large freaky. Freakonomics has been imitated time and again over—but simply now, with SuperFreakonomics, has it met its fit.
Relish moments of Zen like by no means ahead of, with our Senior Philosophical Correspondents
"The final day-by-day express and Philosophy" is revised, accelerated, and up to date to probe deeper than ever ahead of the philosophical importance of the indispensable "fake" information convey of the twenty first century. positive factors major revisions and updates from the 1st 2007 version. comprises dialogue of either "The day-by-day Show" and its spin-off, "The Colbert Report"Reveals why and how" The day-by-day convey "is philosophically attractive and critical. Showcases philosophers at their most sensible, discussing fact, wisdom, fact, and the yankee approach. Faces head on tricky and strangely humorous questions about politics, faith, and gear
EPUB eISBN: 9780062293046
Foreword by way of: John Green
someday, lonely cubicle dweller and in a different way bored ny urban transplant Hannah Hart determined to make a pretend cooking exhibit for a chum again domestic in California. She opened her machine, pulled out a few bread and cheese, after which, as one does, all started ingesting. The video was once known as "Butter Yo Sh*t" and on-line sensation My under the influence of alcohol Kitchen was once born.
My under the influence of alcohol Kitchen (the e-book! ) contains recipes, tales, colour photos, and tips and tips to encourage your personal adventures in tipsy cooking. Hannah deals cocktail suggestions, culinary suggestion (like, be sure you flip off the oven if you happen to visit bed), and stocks never-before-seen recipes such as:
• The Hartwich (Knowledge is ingenuity! study from the earlier! )
• Can Bake (Inventing issues is tough! You don't need to begin from scratch! )
• Latke Shotkes (Plan forward to prevent an evening of dread! )
• Tiny Sandwiches (Size doesn't topic! goal to meet. )
• Saltine Nachos (It's now not approximately assets! It's approximately being innovative. )
in any case, My inebriated Kitchen is probably not your go-to consultant in your subsequent banquet . . . however it will make you snicker and drink . . . I suggest imagine . . . approximately lifestyles.
Vegetarianism isn't really a nutrition development, or the flavour of the month. as a substitute, it's a philosophy and perform with roots in antiquity. Vegetarianism has existed for hundreds of years in a lot of the realm as a social stream and tradition. within the usa, this tradition has existed for greater than 2 hundred years.
- In Search of Pipe Dreams
- Jewhooing the Sixties: American Celebrity and Jewish Identity—Sandy Koufax, Lenny Bruce, Bob Dylan, and Barbra Streisand (American Jewish History, Culture, and Life)
- World of Warcraft and Philosophy: Wrath of the Philosopher King (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
- Reconnecting Culture, Technology and Nature: From Society to Heterogeneity
Extra info for Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser and Curiouser (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
Ethics is the part of philosophy that deals with studying goodness and related value terms. We usually say “Honesty is the best policy,” and my wife and I teach our children to always tell the truth. It seems obvious that a good person should tell the truth. Now suppose that the Queen of Hearts took my Logic course and failed. This would come as no surprise, since Carroll’s characters are delightfully illogical. Anyway, suppose that an angry Queen of Hearts (with a company of armed card soldiers) rings my doorbell.
8. Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus, trans. D. F. Pears and B. F. McGuinness (London and New York: Routledge, 2001), 89. 9. Carroll, Alice’s Adventures, 90. 10. This riddle emerges from an insight in Cohn. 11. , May 15, 2003. 12. Richard Rorty, “Ironists and Metaphysicians,” in The Truth about the Truth, ed. Walter Truett Anderson (New York: Putnam, 1995), 101–102. 13. Edward Luttwak, Strategy: The Logic of War and Peace (Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1987), 3. 14. Ibid.
6 There are no facts about nuclear war-ﬁghting, and (as we shall see) the “fact” that nuclear arsenals necessarily prevent war is based upon a common fallacy. ”8 Strategists aren’t silent. They call their make-believe stories “scenarios”—it gives them gravitas. Lewis Carroll wrote a similar genre of literary nonsense—but he realized what he was doing. indd 35 11/23/09 8:52:08 AM 36 RON HIRSCHBEIN We must make haste if we’re to catch the rabbit. There’s no time to master Nuclear Jabberwocky. The party is about to start.
Alice in Wonderland and Philosophy: Curiouser and Curiouser (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series) by Richard Brian Davis